If you know me or of me, you will know I like beer. Over the last few years I have been collecting photos of every new beer I have.
I now have over 2,000 individual beers photographed and have realised that many beers that I assumed I have photos of, I haven't.

This blog will be therefore be an account of my quest for new beers to photo and how I enjoyed them (or not).
My email is ralphgant@sky.com.

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Birthday

We got a Groupon room deal, that we used to have a night away for my birthday but didn't manage any new beers. The Hunley Hotel & Golf Club is not very far from home and the plan was to spend the day in Saltburn, have drinks and a meal back at the hotel then have the next day in Whitby.

Well that didn't work out, Dot was invited to a wedding evening do on the same day and the venue was only seven mile from the hotel. So we changed our plans.

The original plan would not have worked out anyway, it started to snow really hard on the drive there, so a walk in Saltburn would have been out of the question.

Check in was at three, so I had booked Sunday lunch in the restaurant for two, we arrived early and had a beer in the bar while we waited. There should have been great views of the coast from the bar and restaurant but the heavy snow put paid to that.

The beer was John Smith's, Magnet from England, 4.2% dark amber with a good head, not much but a slight malt aroma, fruity bitter taste, least expensive and best of the John Smith's range (according to this upside down world, it is not even brewed by John Smith's but my home town brewery, Camerons, no wonder I like it).

John Smith's, Magnet, England

Had another beer with lunch and then relaxed in the room watching rugby until it was time for the taxi to Gisborough Hall for the do, had a couple of beers in the room as well.

Great do, not a great selection of beer but had a really good time but we had booked the return taxi too early and then left it too late to change it.   Even then, when we arrived back at the hotel we were the only people in the bar, so we only had one more beer before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment