If you know me or of me, you will know I like beer. Over the last few years I have been collecting photos of every new beer I have.
I now have over 2,000 individual beers photographed and have realised that many beers that I assumed I have photos of, I haven't.

This blog will be therefore be an account of my quest for new beers to photo and how I enjoyed them (or not).
My email is ralphgant@sky.com.

Friday 25 October 2013

My Top Ten Canned Beers

I have often read or heard it said that you can not get a decent beer in a can, well as with lots of other popular misconception about beer, I disagree and think you can (not intended to be a pun but it is fitting).

Although I must admit some canned beers are dreadful but they would still be dreadful in bottles or on draught. Many of these are what we often refer to as Tramp Juice, very strong lagers used purely to get inebriated fast, with no regard for taste.

The beer I will list here are beers that I consider very drinkable in the canned form. Most of these beers have already been covered in my other Top Tens but it is worth mentioning that the cans are just as good.

Tetley's, Original Bitter from England

Tetley's, Original Bitter, England

3.6%. amber colour with a thin head, malt aroma, and dry bitter malt taste.  I think this could possibly be the best mass produced canned beer in the world but it has to be this one, the original, not the smooth stuff, I do not like that one at all.   This is an old review and I am not a sure as I once was, since production has moved away from Leeds and Yorkshire but I am willing to see how it settles out.

Grimbergen, Blond from Belgium

Grimbergen, Blond, Belgium

6.7%, gold colour with thin head, sweet aroma and fruity malty taste, a really nice abbey beer, even in cans. In Belgium, cans cost more than bottles but you have to pay a refundable deposit on the bottles, so if I am bringing beer home to England it is cheaper to buy the cans.

Badger, Tangle Foot from England

Badger, Tangle Foot, England

5.0% deep gold colour with a poor head, fruity aroma, slightly malty with some fruit flavour, quite a good drink, even in a can.

Jenlain, Ambrée from France

Jenlain, Ambrée, France

7.5% amber colour with a nice head, fruity aroma, sweetish but strong malty taste, very nice, one of the best French beers I have had so far, even in cans and better than the Blonde.

Grafenwalder, Hefe Weissbier from Germany


5.0% cloudy gold with a thin head, normal weissbier banana yeast aroma, taste is yeasty banana with some bitter citrus but very slightly lacking in body although still very nice. A good hefe weissbier from Germany, only available in cans and plastic bottles, from Lidl this beer is very good and cheap as well. Photos of the old and new labels.

Morland, Old Speckled Hen from England

Morland, Old Speckled Hen, England

5.2%, amber colour with a head that disappeared fairly quickly, malty aroma, bitter, liquorice malt taste, drink this one quite often, I like it a lot, even from the can.

Pelforth, 3 Malts from France

Pelforth, 3 Malts, France

6.9% deep amber colour with a good head, slight caramel aroma, caramel malt taste, very nice.

Hoegaarden, Witbier from Belgium

Cold Beers

5.0% pale yellow colour with a good head, slight citrus aroma, nice citrusy yeast though quite a thin tasting Witbier but very enjoyable, I like it a lot and it is usually reasonably priced.  One of the best, even in cans.

Marston's, Pedigree from England

Marston's, Pedigree, England

4.5% amber colour with a good head, malt aroma, roasted malt taste, a good reliable beer.

Wychwood, Hobgoblin from England

Wychwood, Hobgoblin, England

5.2% very dark amber with a thin head, fruity hop aroma, nice creamy malt taste, very good beer.

Doing this blog, I have found a lot more than ten canned bees that I would drink regularly if I had the chance, so the beers above are just a selection of the caned beers that I think are very drinkable.  You may disagree and that is your prerogative.   I am sorry to say I did fine a lot more of the Tramp Juice type canned beer than I thought I would.

Maybe a Top Ten Canned beers to avoid next.

One last thing, cans are so convenient and very often much less money than the bottled version.  

All my Top Tens

No comments:

Post a Comment