If you know me or of me, you will know I like beer. Over the last few years I have been collecting photos of every new beer I have.
I now have over 2,000 individual beers photographed and have realised that many beers that I assumed I have photos of, I haven't.

This blog will be therefore be an account of my quest for new beers to photo and how I enjoyed them (or not).
My email is ralphgant@sky.com.

Friday 1 March 2013

Chimay

From the Chimay web site in italicsChimay is an authentic Trappist beer. That means that it is brewed within the walls of a Trappist monastery under the control and responsibility of the community of monks, and whose revenue is devoted to social service.

The monks of Scourmont Abbey in Chimay belong to the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance, usually called Trappists. These monks follow the Rule of St. Benedict (dating back to the 6th century), taking their name "Cistercians" from the monastery of Cîteaux, founded in Burgundy in the 12th century.

During the summer of 1850, a small group of monks established themselves on the wild plateau of Scourmont near Chimay. Around the monastery a farm, a brewery, and a cheese plant came to be.


Chimay, Chimay Red or Première from Belgium


7.0% deep red colour with a good head, fruity malt aroma, smooth fruity malt taste. 

The Chimay "Première" was the first beer brewed at the Notre-Dame de Scourmont Abbey by the Trappist fathers in 1862.

Its current recipe was crafted by Father Théodore when he recreated the brewery after World War II. He was directly inspired by the original recipes from the beginnings of the brewery.


Chimay, Bleue (Blue) from Belgium

Chimay, Bleue (Blue), Belgium

9.0% cloudy red with a very thin head, toffee aroma, burnt malt toffee taste, very good beer.   

Christmas 1948, creation of the Christmas beer that will later become Chimay Blue.

Chimay, Triple / Blanche (White) from Belgium

Chimay, Triple / Blanche (White), Belgium

8.0% cloudy pale yellow with a very thin head, could not identify the aroma so I will say it was complex and fruity, fruity malty caramel taste, very good beer.

1966, creation of the white cap (now called Chimay Triple).

No comments:

Post a Comment