If you know me or of me, you will know I like beer. Over the last few years I have been collecting photos of every new beer I have.
I now have over 2,000 individual beers photographed and have realised that many beers that I assumed I have photos of, I haven't.

This blog will be therefore be an account of my quest for new beers to photo and how I enjoyed them (or not).
My email is ralphgant@sky.com.

Thursday 5 January 2012

Christmas Beers

Well I am back after a Christmas break from bogging (and a broken computer), and also a couple of short drinking trips to York.

I am going to do a couple of blogs on Christmas Beers. Seasonal beers were not always readily available in the UK but over the last few years they have been making a comeback. I think it could have something to do with the resurgence of small independent brewers. Of course, I could be wrong but I have never noticed so many seasonal beers before the last few years.

Now the first thing I have to mention is, that just giving a brew a festive name and label, doesn't mean that it will taste any different from any other everyday beer. Some are very ordinary indeed, while others invoke feelings of warmth and memories of the tastes of Christmas past.

I will start with the three seasonal beers I had on our last trip to York.

Northumberland, Hoppy New Year from England

Northumberland, Hoppy New Year, England

3.8% amber colour with a good head, hop aroma, hop and malt taste, not very festive at all, probably brewed for drinking in large quantities on new years eve but even then I would not have wanted more than one.

Moorhouses, Lap Prancer from England

Moorhouses, Lap Prancer, England

4.2% deep amber with a good head, fruity caramel aroma. nice fruity caramel taste but also not really a festive beer, although I did have a couple.

Wold Top, 5 Wold Rings from England

Wold Top, 5 Wold Rings, England

5.0% amber colour with a good head, fruity citrus aroma, fruity citrus hop and malt taste, slightly better on the festive front.

I have had better and worse Christmas Beers, more to come in the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment